October 18th, 2017 will mark the end of our first nine weeks grading period. On behalf of the Radford City School Division, I would like to thank all students, staff and school community members for helping make the start of the 2017-2018 school year a great success. As we move into our 2nd nine week grading period, I would ask you to review the following important information below:
Thanks again for a great opening to our school year. We look forward to a wonderful 2016-2017! If you have questions or concerns about the information above, please do not hesitate to contact me.
- I am proud to report that, once again, Radford City Public Schools (RCPS) has met all the Standards of Learning benchmark requirements to be fully accredited by the VDOE and State of Virginia. Each of the four schools received a full accreditation status and, Radford, as a division, is one of 65 out of 132 school systems to have all schools within the division achieve this milestone!
- For the third year, RCPS was awarded $212, 240 dollars from the Virginia Department of Education to provide Extended School Year services to students in our school community. In addition to the Extended School Year Grant, we continue to partner with Beans and Rice, Inc. via the 21st Century Grant to provide after school enrichment, homework support and food to many students at McHarg, Belle Heth and JDIS.
- Radford High School was one of five high schools to receive a $50,000 grant to help support the innovative practices that we initiated last year. In partnership with Radford University, RCPS also received a grant worth close to $10,000 to provide professional development opportunities to our staff in the area of cybersecurity. In addition, partnerships with Qualcomm and Steelcase/Barrows furniture have yielded grants and donations totaling close to $100,000 for our makerspace lab and active learning spaces.
- The fall extra-curricular activity period began August 1st and continues throughout October and into November. The Best Band in the Land maintains a high level of performance racking up many awards while the fall athletic teams work hard to make playoff competitions.
- Schools will be closed for all students on Friday, October 20th for professional development and then again on Monday, October 23rd for parent teacher conferences. Schools will reopen again on Tuesday, October 24th
Robert F. Graham
Robert F. Graham