Employee recognition comments 2017-2018:
April 2018 - Special thanks to the businesses that donated gift cards
- Emily Eagle - After a horrible school bus incident at the beginning of the year she made me and my daughter comfortable by accompanying her on the bus for a couple weeks. She went out of her way to help her and I both become more comfortable! You can tell she really cares for my child! She is a WONDERFUL teacher!!
- Bob Jones - Jones drove the swim team to Richmond for our state swim meet. He was a calm driver in crazy Richmond traffic. Mr. Jones also drove the swim team to practice every night of the season and would cheer us on during our practices.
- Angie McCauley - McCauley is a hardworking, kindhearted spirit who thinks of the whole-child. You know she loves the students and cares for their overall needs by the way she interacts with her students and how they respond to her. They LOVE her! Even with the most difficult students-she shows them kindness and dignity with a smile on her face. Radford City is lucky to have her teaching, advocating and caring for our students with special needs.
- Matthew Saunders - As my son prepares to graduate next month, I’ve been reflecting on his four years at Radford High School. What has he learned? Who has influenced him? Of course he has studied a variety of topics in his classes, but many of the lessons he’ll remember for the rest of his life were learned on the football field and in the weight room. His friends, teammates and teachers have influenced him, and Coach Matthew Saunders has had a huge impact on the young man my son has become. With Coach Saunders’ guidance, my son has learned about perseverance, hard work, setting goals, teamwork, winning and losing. Coach Saunders’ dedication to the students does not end after the final game of the season. Even during the offseason, Coach Saunders can be found coaching and motivating the boys in the weight room three days a week before and after school to prepare for the next season. I am thankful that Coach Saunders has been part of my son’s life.
- Gloria Boyd – She’s been amazing all year and by far one of the best educators Radford City has. I wish she could teach a class to the new teachers about how to balance teaching and caring about a child’s emotional well-being at the same time. It’s a total package and sometimes that thought doesn’t occur to teachers. My son has severe anxiety and she constantly comes up with new ideas to help channel his energy elsewhere so that the anxiety isn’t so overwhelming. She constantly keeps all the parents informed on upcoming events and how their kid is doing. She somehow manages to get lessons taught and takes time to make each child feel special. This teacher needs a trophy because I’ve had children in the school system for 16 years and Gloria Boyd is by far the best teacher in the system. I wish she had been a teacher when I went through the school system.
- Kevin Conner –
- He told me I could do it and always helped me when I was stuck on a problem.
- He shows a lot of encouragement and makes me feel like I can do my work even when I think I can’t.
- Kelly Morris –
- Morris helps me with my English. I have learned so much because of Mrs. Morris!!!
- Morris has taught me English and also given me confidence.
- Morris has helped me and has taught me so much sense 7th grade. I don't know how to thank her. Mrs. Morris is hands down one of the best teachers I ever had and I am so thankful that I got to be with her for 2 years straight because she has helped my life a lot. I would say more but I can’t take all day but just know Mrs. Morris is the best teacher I have ever had.
- She helped me understand reading better.
- She tells me can I can achieve anything I want and no one can stop me. She also stopped me from saying “I give up” and she told me that to never give up.
- Makes me know I will pass the SOL.
- Brian Dye –
- Dye goes beyond the school day because he works at home after his job from us!
- Dye gives me confidence.
- Amber Alley – I appreciate Mrs. Alley so much and thank her for everything because Mrs. Alley had some bad times but that never stopped her from being a good teacher. She has always helped me and that never stopped her and I appreciate that and thank her. All I have to say is I love her and thank her for getting me into High school.
March 2018 - Special thanks to the businesses that donated gift cards
- Jayne Cox - She is an excellent teacher. She makes learning fun for all of her students. She finds fun and innovative ways to teach basic skills. She is willing to step in and help in any situation. She is a valuable member of the McHarg Elementary family.
- Daniela Brunner - I email Mrs. Brunner about my son's grades and she always is so positive and replies to me the same day and suggest things to help my son. She works with him well and she does not give up on him. It means a lot to me that she is always so supportive and encouraging in regards to my son's grades as well as always keeping me informed!
- Kelly Wheeler - My daughter is struggling with learning to read. Mrs. Wheeler is always ready to answer my questions, give advice, and prepare activities that we can use to practice at home. She keeps us informed of things happening in her classroom by using Seesaw to send us videos and updates. She provides a positive learning environment and creates engaging lessons.
- David Lawson - Great attitude, very helpful, always positive problem solving
- Shannon Kessler - Shannon Kessler goes above and beyond for her students. Ms. Kessler talks to her students with great dignity and respect that shows she values them as individuals. Ms. Kessler doesn't simply teach her students, she forms strong bonds with them. Witnessing her interactions with students during the Beans and Rice After-school Program, it's clear to see they are fond of her.
- Anne Goodman – She has been providing exceptional speech services to my son. She's always so kind and possess a lot of patience.
February 2018 – Special thanks to the businesses that donated gift cards
- Frank Leighton - Daily, Mr. Leighton is the friendly face that I've grown accustomed to seeing each day at drop off. No matter what the weather conditions may be, he is there to welcome my child, offer an umbrella, or simply wave to say hello each morning.
- Heather Rowland - Ms. Rowland makes learning fun! She has a special relationship with each student. She does everything she can to help us learn and understand what she teaches. She wants us to believe in ourselves and learn from our mistakes. She called my mom when I had been absent to check on me and to make sure that I knew what to do for my make-up work.
- Michelle Schafer - She is an excellent teacher. She works with her students to make sure they are all successful. She deserves to be recognized for all her hard work.
January 2018 – Special thanks to the businesses that donated gift cards
- Donita Anderson – I feel like she has went above and beyond for my son when she noticed him struggling in school. Every time we have spoken or had to meet she is very positive and up lifting, just over all caring.
- Pam Chitwood – Mrs. Chitwood has been great answering my college questions as well as sending college transcripts and recommendation letters since the start of the school year for my son. She always responds to my emails quickly and sends the needed paperwork right away. I want to thank her for her understanding and kindness since she probably heard from me weekly during October, November and December. She is amazing!
- Josh Green – Mr. Green always stops to greet me and makes me feel welcome every time he sees me at McHarg. He recognizes me as a member of a student's family. What a joy to be greeted by his smile. I've also noticed how the children look forward to talking with him when they meet him in the hall or at lunch. He makes a tremendous contribution to the school environment.
December 2017 - Special thanks to the businesses that donated
- David Lawson is always helpful and greets people with a smile. Definitely should be recognized for his excellent work!
- David Lawson is always so helpful and a pleasure to interact with every time I go to McHarg. He’s the best!
- Dane Eller ensures that my child could continue to grow academically when goals were achieved. Provided a safe learning environment and responded to any questions or concerns in a timely manner. One of my daughter’s favorite teachers!