As we enjoyed spring break 2019, which began Monday, March 11 and ended Friday, March 15, Radford City Public Schools (RCPS) would like to celebrate with our school community the many accomplishments that we have earned during the first seven months of the 2018-2019 school year.
- Once again, RCPS was fully accredited based on the Virginia Department of Education’s accountability measures.
- In October, we were recognized as the class 2 academic champion of the Wells Fargo Cup Competition for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Our Forensics team continues to shine this year placing 2nd in the regional competition and are preparing for state competition in the very near future.
- Athletically, the girls’ volleyball team placed first in the class 2 state volleyball championships while the boys’ football team made it to the state semifinal game of the class 2 state football championships. In addition, both the golf team and cross country teams placed in the top ten in the class 2 state championships in their respective sports. Furthermore, the boys’ swim team placed in the top ten in the class 2 state swimming championships while the girls’ team placed in the top twenty. Finally, our boys’ basketball team just won their 6 state championship title in the last 10 years beating East Rockingham High School on Saturday, March 9th, 74-50. Way to go Cats!
- Ms. Jennifer Eller, technology teacher and Robotics Coach, was selected by the Rotary and Chamber organizations as the RCPS Teacher of the Year. Thus far this year we have had multiple teachers selected as the Shelor Motor Mile Teacher of the Month and a number of employees recognized for their efforts in providing outstanding customer service care. In addition, Ms. Ellen Denny was awarded the Virginia Association of School Curriculum and Development’s Impact Award for the efforts she has made in helping RCPS become one of the most innovative school systems in VA.
- The school system is excited about a new hybrid schedule at the secondary school level to include one school lunch that will be implemented at the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year. We are also enthusiastic about how these schedules will help us strengthen our already strong partnership with New River Community College, Radford University and Virginia Tech.
Thank you to all of those who have helped us with the wonderful accomplishments above. We look forward to many more success throughout the remainder of the school year! Below, please find important dates to remember as you prepare your spring schedules.
- March 25 – End of third quarter grading period
- March 29 – Data Day for staff. Schools closed for students
- April 19-22 – Easter Holiday. Schools closed for staff and students
- May 24 – Graduation – Radford University’s Bondurant Auditorium
- May 27 – Memorial Day Holiday. Schools closed for staff and students
- May 31 – Last day of school with a two hour early release
Robert F. Graham
Robert F. Graham