Child Study Committee (CSC) and Referrals
What is a Child Study Committee (CSC)?
Each school in Radford City Schools may establish a Child Study committee to review records and other performance evidence of those children referred through a screening process, or referred by a source other than through screening. The Child Study committee must consist of at least three persons in attendance. The committee shall include:
- Referring source, as appropriate (except when referring source would breach confidentiality of child)
- Principal or Designee
- Others may be invited to the Child Study committee who may have some knowledge or expertise that may be needed
What is the Purpose of the Child Study?
The CSC shall be used to assist educators in meeting the needs of students in the regular classroom, who have been referred to the principal by parents, self, teachers, other agencies, private/parochial schools, any interested person/agency or through screening.
How Do You Make A Referral to the Child Study Committee?
Anyone who wishes to make a referral should notify the principal or designee. The referring teacher will complete the Referral to Formal Child Study Form. For non-teacher referrals, the principal will designate who will complete the form. After the Referral to Formal Child Study form is completed and returned to the principal , a Child Study meeting must be scheduled within 10 administrative working days. Members of the CSC will be assigned by the principal or designee. All Child Study members will to be notified of the date, time, location and any specific information they will need to bring to the meeting by the principal or designee.
What Goes On During a Child Study Meeting?
When the Child Study is convened the members will:
- Review areas of concern
- Identify/Define the concerns that exist
- If the concerns cannot be identified additional information may be collected by reviewing records or conducting screening tests
- Make recommendations to:
- a. Implement instructional /behavioral strategies within the regular classroom
- b. Refer for an initial evaluation
- Implement instructional/behavioral strategies within the regular classroom
- Review/revise strategies as needed
- Continue strategies
- Close case when concerns are remediated
- Refer for initial Evaluation if strategies are unsuccessful
- Refer for consideration of 504 services
- The Child Study members will document and record on the Formal Child Study Committee Action Form the following information:
- Actions by the committee.
- Information upon which the decision was based.
- Team Member Signatures
- Date of meeting(s)
When the CSC needs to collect more information by screening a Notice of Intent to Screen must be sent to the parent/guardian. Screening can begin 10 days after parent notification has been sent.
When instructional/behavioral strategies are recommended the CSC members will document and record on the Formal Child Study Committee Action Form:
- When the strategies were implemented.
- Effectiveness of the strategies.
- When the CSC meeting will be reconvened.
- Revised interventions, referral for evaluation or close case.
The CSC is a process that is designed to assist children with problems they encounter while attending school. Everyone's input is important.
Formal Assessment components shall not be initiated (collected) before referral to the special education administrator and parental/guardian consent has been obtained.
Radford City Schools Policies and Procedure for Child Study
A. A child study committee shall be established in each school to review records and other performance evidence of the children referred through a screening process, or by school staff, the parent or parents, or other individuals.
1. All referrals to the child study committee shall be made to the principal or designee. The committee shall include:
(a.) The referring source, as appropriate (except if inclusion of referring source would breach the confidentiality or the child);
(b.) The principal or designee;
(c.) At least one teacher; and
(d.) At least one specialist.
2. The child study committee shall meet within 10 business days following receipt of the referral. The purpose of the meeting is to identify and recommend strategies to address the child’s learning, behavior, communication, or development. This does not preclude the child study committee from making a referral for evaluation for special education and related services prior to implementing strategies. The child study committee shall refer the child to the special education administrator or designee within five business days following the determination by the committee that the child should be referred for an evaluation for special education and related services.
3. Actions by the committee shall be documented in writing and shall include information upon which a decision was based.