Special Education: Reevaluation
Reevaluations are conducted at least every three years for all students eligible for special education and related services.
Radford City Schools Reevaluation Policy and Procedures
A. A reevaluation shall be conducted:
1. If conditions warrant a reevaluation;
2. If the child’s parent, parents, or teacher requests a reevaluation; or
3. At least once every three years.
B. Review of existing evaluation data. As part of a reevaluation, Radford City Schools shall ensure that a group comprised of the same individuals as an IEP team, and other qualified professionals, as appropriate:
1. Review the reason for the reevaluation request, if applicable, and existing evaluation data on the child, including:
(a.) Evaluations and information provided by the parent or parents of the child;
(b.) Current classroom-based assessments and observations; and
(c.) Observations by teachers and related services providers; and
2. Identifies, on the basis of the above review, and input from the child’s parent or parents, what additional data, if any, are needed to determine:
(a.) Whether the child continues to have a particular disability or has any additional disabilities;
(b.) The present levels of performance and educational needs of the child;
(c.) Whether the child continues to need special education and related services; and
(d.) Whether any modifications to the special education and related services are needed to enable the child to meet the measurable annual goals set out in the IEP of the child and to participate, as appropriate, in the general curriculum.
C. Conduct of review. The group may conduct its review without a meeting.
D. Need for additional data. Radford City Schools shall administer tests and other evaluation materials, in accordance with subsection E of this section, as may be needed to produce the data identified in subdivision 2 b of this subsection.
E. Requirements if additional data are not needed.
1. If the determination identified in subdivision 2 of this subsection is that no additional data are needed to determine whether the child continues to be a child with a disability, Radford City Schools shall notify the child’s parent or parents of (I) that determination and the reasons for it; and (ii) the right of the parent or parents to request an evaluation to determine whether, for purposes of services under this chapter, the child continues to be a child with a disability.
2. Radford City Schools is not required to conduct the evaluation to gather additional information to determine whether the child continues to have a particular disability, unless requested to do so by the child’s parent or parents.
This process shall be considered the evaluation if no additional data are needed.
The following form will be completed for all children eligible for a reevaluation: