In 1908, the City of Radford built two schools costing fourteen thousand dollars. One of these was McHarg Elementary School which was originally built on Second Street and named for Henry McHarg. Mr. McHarg was owner of the Pipe Factory and made donations to the school.
In 1956, construction was begun on the present McHarg School and was completed in 1957 at a cost of $443,428. The school housed grades 1-7 with an enrollment of 360 pupils.
McHarg School has undergone several additions and a restructuring of grade levels since 1957:
1970 the current second grade area was added
1987 the area that houses the first grade was added
1994 Art/Music room added
1996 two new 1st grade classrooms added (currently pre-school); one older classroom converted to computer lab
2009 the new Belle Heth School is open and includes grades three through six
Today, McHarg is home for the city’s kindergarten through grade two students with an enrollment around 400.